Saturday, January 23, 2010

To CHRP or not to CHRP

When it comes to the CHRP designation I find myself in the same conundrum as Hamlet when he pondered the question of whether to live a life of action or a life of silent acceptance (or even end it all). What I mean is, do I maintain my CHRP designation and accept that it doesn't really represent a higher level of experience and commitment to the HR profession, OR do I take action, and make a statement by letting the damned thing lapse and spending the re-certification money on coffee, chocolate and other equally important things?

My question stems from observing people new to the field, and people who have just finished a 2 year HR diploma, prepare and study for the exams that, if passed, will earn them the CHRP designation. The same designation that many of my seasoned colleagues, and myself, can only maintain if every 3 years we fill in a ridiculous form to prove that we know what we're doing in our jobs every day! Give me a break!

Maybe I'm confused about what the CHRP designation is?

I was recently asked to complete a questionnaire by the association governing the CHRP designation in Alberta, to clarify what exactly someone holding a CHRP does. Now, being a committed HR professional, I decided to act on the request and complete the survey. By the second question I could feel my blood begin to boil and my frustrations begin to rise. Somehow, I was expected to check the most appropriate box that would accurately describe what a CHRP does every day and how important that work is in their day. What the hell? How can we expect to define a CHRP (positioned in the survey, as a person, rather than a designation) in such a simple manner? Shouldn't the CHRP be about experience, integrity, breadth and depth of knowledge, and not about defining how important the tasks associated with organization development or recruitment are each day?

Needless to say, I stopped mid-way through the survey and sent an email to the association to let them know how absurd their questions were.

Speaking of questions, I guess I've answered my own...the answer is "Not to CHRP".

No comments:

Post a Comment